Sunday, December 1, 2013

I was Virginia's executioner from 1982 to 1999. Any questions for me?



I was responsible for putting 62 inmates to death in Virginia. I regret it deeply and now campaign to end capital punishment

Lethal injection, death penalty, Pancuronium
'When I accepted the job, I never told my wife or kids or anybody.' Photograph: Eric Risberg/AP
Jerry Givens worked for 25 years for Virginia's department of corrections. He was the state's executioner from 1982 to 1999 and administered the death penalty to 62 inmates, some by lethal injection and some by electrocution. For many years, even his own family did not know the truth about his job. Now Jerry campaigns to end capital punishment. He is the author of Another Day Not Promised and is on the board of Virginians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty. Today he opens up on Comment is free about his old job, what caused him to change his mind and the realities of America's criminal justice system.
Post questions for Jerry in the comments below. He will respond to as many as he can later today.

FULL ARTICLE HERE: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/21/death-penalty-former-executioner-jerry-givens

No comments:

Post a Comment