Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Obamacare Just Gave Me A Death Sentence

health care money
Sounds like hyperbole, right?  Well, depends upon your perspective after you read what I have to say.
Long time readers of FedUpUSA know me to some degree or another.  I’m a real person.  I’m not wealthy.  I’m not special.  I’m just your average person who happens to be rather opinionated and I share those opinions here on the Internets.  The following is my reality after Obamacare smacked me upside the head last week.  I’m prompted to share this rather personal story in the hopes that it will wake up a few more people.
I’ve had Blue-Cross/Blue-Shield of Michigan through my employer for more than 10 years.  My first reality won’t really be felt until April, but it’s a doozy.  With the implementation of Obamacare, my employer’s healthcare coverage is considered a ‘Cadillac’ plan.  This means that I will be taxed on the net value of what my employer pays for my insurance plan.  This happens to be about $12,000/year.  I have been fortunate enough to pay nothing out of pocket for this premium, but it is part of the reason I took my job in the first place.  However, now, instead of being taxed on my actual salary of $35,000/year*, I will be taxed on a salary of $47,000/year.  Well, guess what?  That pushes me into a much higher tax bracket.  So, besides paying for my co-pay ($3,000/year) I’m going to have to pay the government more than $4,000 extra per year in taxes.  So, where once I was paying $3,000 annually for medical expenses, I’m now going to be paying $7,000, $4,000 of which I will have to pay even if I don’t ever receive another medical service in my life again.  Yet, my actual take-home salary will remain $35,000.  So, how do you think this math works out for me and my family?  Yeah, we’ll be lucky if we keep our house or we can eat….because $4,000 of my annual salary is now being redistributed to purportedly cover those who don’t have health insurance.  Yet, now I can’t afford to eat!!!  How many households in this country can just suddenly assume a $4,000 annual increase in expenses?  Not many, according to the most recent polls that say more than 70% of Americans don’t even have savings equal to one month of expenses.  Now, this is bad enough, but worse yet is the following:


Read more: http://www.fedupusa.org/2013/10/obamacare-just-gave-me-a-death-sentence/#ixzz2gXLJaAo3

No comments:

Post a Comment